Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Spiderwick Chronicles

I'm not sure why, but when I was at the American Library Association Trade show I saw a poster for a book that I had never heard of. I know, me not having heard of a book. But there it is. So I see this poster for Spiderwick and I am instantly enchanted. Why? Well, I'm not sure, but I was.

So there I am, looking all over the huge Washington DC Convention Center for this book. After two days I finally find the Simon & Schuster booth and another poster...but no books. No brochures, nothing...just a poster! So I ask, and they have given everything away.

So I come home and I begin searching the Howard County Library database and every time I look they are all checked out. I hate when that happened. Well, after a couple of months...and no it never occurred to me to buy them...I mean it did, but I don't want to buy a whole set of books if I don't like them. So I finally found them...ALL OF THEM! I snatched them off the shelf and stuffed them in my Kfir Luzzatto "THE ODYSSEY GENE" book bag and ran...not walked...to the check out desk and there I was! I was thrilled.

The Spiderwick Chronicles: The Field Guide
by
Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black
ISBN: 0689-85936-8

Since the book is very short I truly expected to find the typical kid's fantasy, I was disappointed. I mean it is a kid's fantasy, but it is so much more. Take a few words, sprinkle in some charm, and add numerous awesome illustrations and you have an excellent book. Getting to know the Grace kids in "The Spiderwick Chronicles" is going to be so much more than an adventure.

If I had to pick one element of "The Field Guide" I don't think I could. The kids are kids, with problems and personalities and if you weren't holding the book in your hand, you might think they live next door--it's excellent. Toss in a few brownies and some animals and you have one heck of a cool story.

I've got book two sitting on the dining room table waiting for me, but work comes first...at least until lunch!

And if you're looking for another great fantasy…minus the Fae…you can try the Cynthia's Attic Adventures by
Mary Cunningham.

The Missing Locket
The Magic Medallion



No comments: