Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The BIG Water Slide!


The slide in the picture is on the dock of our lake. Water runs down it continually and it always gives you a fast ride. This is the only kind of slide I had ever been on, until I visited my first water park in Branson, MO.
The time was the seventies and giant water slides had just come into popularity. I had never been on one, or even seen one. My sister lived near Branson that summer while her hubby was in law school. They invited our family out for a weekend. She talked excitedly about the huge, new water slide.
We parked our car and approached from the top side. I still couldn't see the entire length of the slide. We got in line. When it was my turn to sit down on a rubber mat, I decided it was too scary for my 5-yr-old daughter to ride alone. So....I sat down, swiveled around and had my little girl sit between my legs. I had planned to turn BACK around and push off....but something happened! When little Stephanie sat down and I hugged her tightly to my body, I must have slightly pushed us backwards.
It was all it took! Off we went, cascading down the huge drop BACKWARDS. I was never so scared in my entire life. I had no idea what was coming. I didn't know if you were supposed to duck under bridges or such, so I lay down and held onto my little girl with all my might.
We shot like a bullet down hills and around corners, going what seemed like 100mph. Keep in mind: it was my first slide adventure, I had my child with me, I had no idea what was coming, and WE WERE DOING THE WHOLE THING HEADFIRST AND BACKWARDS!!
People along the route cheered us on. They thought we were daredevils!! I vaguely recall my husband yelling as we zoomed by, "Be Careful!" Yeah, right. You can really be careful when you are shooting down a slide upside down and backwards.
After what seemed an eternity, we landed in a pool of water. I think I breathed for the first time since we left the launch pad. People clapped and said things like,"Wow! You're sure brave. I've never thought of trying it that way!" I glared at them.
Little Stephanie looked up at me and said, "That was fun, Mommy. Can we do it again?"
We didn't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.