Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Just Don't Mess With My Radio!

by Pam Ripling

Coming clean. I did it. I ripped Barbie's head off. And it was my sister's Barbie. BUT... this was after she broke my phenomenal, brand-new clock radio!

Normally, you could put Barbie's head back on, but I think, no, I know, I did irreparable damage that day, and the little bubble-headed bleach blonde couldn't keep her head in place ever again. My sister never forgave me. (Well, maybe a little.)

Why do we do it? Is it attention we need? It must be a common problem, because TV sitcoms have been pitting sibling against sibling for decades. From Beaver and Wally Cleaver to Drake (and Josh) and Megan. Lizzie McGuire had Matt, Hannah Montana has Jackson.

It all actually started a long time ago, before television families even existed. One of the first stories in the Bible (generally considered the oldest book in Western civilization) is about the rivalry between two famous brothers, Cain and Abel. Cain, the older, complained about having to take care of Abel, demanding to know, "Am I my brother's keeper?" This story doesn't end well, by the way.

My story does. The radio still worked, although I had to bang on it a bit. And a bit of tape helped Barbie stay sane. My sister and I are the best of friends, despite years of competition for attention. Most people will tell you that time heals all sibling-inflected wounds. Too bad Cain couldn't wait around to find that out.

Pam Ripling is the author of middle-grade mystery, LOCKER SHOCK! Buy it at Quake, Fictionwise or Amazon today! E-book version now available for your Kindle! Visit Pam at www.BeaconStreetBooks.com.


No comments: