Sunday, August 16, 2009

Internet Friendships


What do I think of Internet Friendships? Scary. Potentially dangerous. You never know who you're talking to on the Internet. I've seen too many cop shows where predators advance on unsuspecting people. Okay. I know I'm old fashioned, but I think people should make real friends in real life. It's acceptable to discuss topics on the Internet, but when it comes to making relationships - beware.

I have a friend who carried on an Internet romance and ended up marrying the person, only to discover the real person was nothing like he portrayed himself. Surprising? Not at all. There are plenty of places to meet people besides the Internet.

Once I entered a chat room. The first person there asked me where I lived. Right, like I'm going to share my address. I know, I know, there are the yellow pages, but being listed there is not the same. Small chance that a stalker will hunt you down from reading your name in the yellow pages.

In my latest mystery, The Curriculum Murders, Margo Brown's sidekick, Roxie, finds a friend on the Internet who tells her he is also a Native American and his father was a tribal leader. Roxie spends a lot of time sharing insights with this stranger while Margo warns her that he could be a serial killer from Chicago.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Internet for finding information, for connecting with other authors and readers, and for marketing. I would not trust an Internet stranger with personal information. I probably read too many mysteries.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have a really good friend that I met online 3 years ago. We talk on the phone all the time now. we live in different states but have visited each other in person. She's one of my best friends!