Monday, August 10, 2009

Old Beats New Anytime!

On the understanding that this week's topic is Hollywood, I thought I'd share my favorite - old movies! If I'm wrong, you'll have to indulge me!

I seemed to inherit my love of old movies from my mom. I loved watching Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland, Bogie and Bacall, or Mae West. It was a time of glam, mystique, and beauty. Celebrities had an aura about them.

Of course, the movie system then had a way of keeping their stars' mishaps and secrets under wraps for fear of damaging their status in the public. Some advantages there as we've now gone the reverse, peeking into everyone's windows via "reality" TV.

The same can be said for books - the object is to keep the reader guessing, isn't it? Don't tell all your secrets too early. That makes both reading, and writing, more fun, don't you think?

* What book have you read recently that had a great secret?

* Sam wonders what's the "secret" of finding a missing miniature Van Gogh painting in Searching For A Starry Night, A Miniature Art Mystery

1 comment:

Legendary Lights said...

We have this in common... I love Hollywood's golden age and wish I could travel back to those days...you'd find me hanging out, dancing all night in the clubs, wearing the glitz... sigh.

I just recently wrote about Mae West. She was something else!

Pam
http://beaconstreetbooks.com