Tuesday, August 25, 2009

World Peace?

I saw the topic for this week was World Peace, so I did a little entry on my first thought...and second thought...and extra train of thought detours...on World Peace :)

World Peace?


…What does that mean?


Is it, simply, a world without conflict? I’m asking because actually, the first thing that comes to mind is a world inhabited by robots. The second is the book “The Giver.” Has anyone read that book? Or any other post-apocalyptic utopia stories. In the ones I’ve read I’ve found the characters a bit dull (though that might have been done on purpose), but the reoccurring concept was freakier than any of the murder mysteries I’ve read. Is that what World Peace truly means? A mindless state of contentment, almost programmed into the bland role to avoid conflict…hmm…I believe we’re back to robots.


Don’t get me wrong. There are some great aspects to peace. But I don’t dream of a world without conflict. I dream of an alternative to wars, advancements in crime-solving technology, reduced instances of violence…basically, reasons not to do horrible things. Good people working to prevent horrible things. You know, crazy stuff like that. Because in a world without conflict, there’s not much else either. Try reading a book, a short story, a newspaper article, even a blog post, without conflict. Try writing one! In a nutshell, it is going to stink. Badly. Now, try living without conflict. Sure, you don’t have those down moments, but you don’t have any senses of triumph or pride. And those are what make us human. Without those ups and downs, we’re…oh, no. I’m back to robots again.


Anyway, I'd have to do a lot more research on the meaning of World Peace before I could decide if I wanted it or not.


--Kieryn

My novel, RAIN, is coming in 2010 from QUAKE!

Find me at www.kierynnicolas.blogspot.com, or www.kierynnicolas.com. I'm also on Facebook!

(photo credit www.soil-net.com)

No comments: